07 July 2017

On Retreat in Assisi

Father Conn, Monsignor Johnson and I are on retreat in Assisi this week.  After Mass this morning at the Basilica of Saint Francis, we spent some time at the lovely little Church of San Stefano praying for each of our Deacons by name.  Each of the seminarians and faculty are in my prayers every day.

For the past forty years, Assisi has been something of a spiritual home for me, so it is a great joy to spend a few days here reminding myself of what is most important and re-embracing the call God gives to each one of us to holiness.

Through the Poverello God has always given me the graces I have needed at each stage of my ministry.  These days I am recalling these words of the great Saint as quoted in the Fioretti:

“Go, announce peace to all people; preach repentance for the remission of sins. Be patient in trials, watchful in prayer, and steadfast in weariness. Be modest in your speech, responsible in your actions, and grateful to your benefactors. And know that in return an eternal kingdom is being made ready for you.”


Father Conn, Monsignor Johnson and I would be grateful for your prayers.

  Diaconal Ministry in a Time of Change Deacons have always been at the heart of the life of the Church and among the primary effective ag...