04 May 2018

Meditations With a Pencil...


A couple months back I used some of the illustrations from Diane Orpen's 1946 book, Meditations with a Pencil.  I have received many requests from seminarians to post some more of these beautiful pencil drawings.  Since the book has been long out of print, I include some more of these simple drawings for your prayer and reflection.

“In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary.  And coming to her, he said, 'Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.'  But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.”                                             
                     - Luke 1: 26-29

“[Simeon] he took [the child Jesus] into his arms and blessed God, saying: “Now, Master, you may let your servant go in peace, according to your word, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you prepared in sight of all the peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel.” - Luke 2: 28-32

"One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been ill for a long time, he said to him, 'Do you want to be well?' The sick man answered him, 'Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; while I am on my way, someone else gets down there before me.' Jesus said to him, 'Rise, take up your mat, and walk.'     -John 5:5-8.


"He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, 'Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.'"              -Matthew 18: 2-3
“Coming to his senses he thought, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.’”   - Luke 15: 17-19

“For the needy will never be forgotten,
nor will the hope of the afflicted ever fade.”
      - Psalm 9:19


“Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector.  The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, ‘O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity—greedy, dishonest, adulterous—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.’  But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, ‘O God, be merciful to me a sinner.’  I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”          - Luke 18: 10-14







  Diaconal Ministry in a Time of Change Deacons have always been at the heart of the life of the Church and among the primary effective ag...