14 October 2016

A Night to Celebrate the Society of Jesus

I was honored this evening to celebrate Mass and have dinner with the Jesuit community at Boston College.  We were commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of our own Father Jim Conn’s entrance into religious life as well as the election earlier today of Father Arturo Sosa Abascal as Superior General of the Society of Jesus.  At the conclusion of Mass we sang the Te Deum in gratitude to God for these great blessings.  

As I pray Compline tonight, I am reminded of one of my favorite prayers of Saint Ignatius, which always reminds me of what a gift the Society of Jesus has been to the Church.

Dearest Lord, 
teach me to be generous;
teach me to serve You as You deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labour and not to ask for reward
save that of knowing I am doing Your Will.

  Diaconal Ministry in a Time of Change Deacons have always been at the heart of the life of the Church and among the primary effective ag...