27 August 2017

And so it begins....

Our new men arrived yesterday afternoon and moved into their rooms with the help of the Orientation Committee and their families and friends.  Then there was a tour, a first briefing by Father Ed Riley and some time to relax in the Common Room.  Here are some views of the day, beginning with a group photo of seminarians and their families and friends and my first words to the new men in the Chapel.

Welcome
4pm Saturday
26 August 2017

Heavenly Father, your love for us is beyond measure. Still the hearts of those who seek to do your will, and give to them the confidence of the children of God. Give them the peace which the world cannot give, and send an angel to gently guide them in this, your holy house. Bless their families and their friends, and give to them the assurance of your Holy Will. Bless them for their love, their care and their daily prayers. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Welcome!  God called.  You answered.  How many different feelings must be running through your hearts right now!  Those of you who are about to become philosophers and theologians, discerning God’s call to a share in the Priesthood of Jesus, his Son must be scared half to death.  Wondering what he has in store for you, will you be up to the task? Will you be happy?

Be at peace, my brothers.  For the same God who gave you birth, the same God who taught you to laugh, who is the way, the truth and the life...that God is all this place is about.  He is in the air we breathe and work we do.  He is the reason we rise and we rest.  He loves you more than you will ever know, and he has great things in store for you here!  Things more amazing than you have even dreamed. Like the little kid who has climbed the ladder to the great big slide, just take a deep breath and let go!  He’ll do the rest.

And be at peace, dear parents and friends.  My 88 year old mother has some advice for you.  Trust in God and he will do great things for your son.  For the Lord, who knows how much you love your so, will take good care of him here.  God has called him and he has answered.  And what could be better than that?

I welcome you on behalf of an incredible faculty of wonderful priests, who once sat where you sit and once felt exactly as you do today.  I welcome you on behalf of Cardinal O’Malley and our Board of Trustees.  I welcome you on behalf of our superb staff and our spiritual directors and pastoral supervisors.  I welcome you home.

I’m your Rector, which means I am your pastor.  I live on the second floor in an apartment a little smaller than the city of Providence and my office is at the end of that hallway.  My cell phone is in the student directory and you are my first priority in life. 

So relax and enjoy.  You only have one first day of major Seminary.  Mine was 41 years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  That day was, for me, the beginning of a life so filled with joy and beauty and truth that I cannot describe it without tears in my eyes.  And that is just what God has in store for you.

Well, enough from me.  You’ve had a long day.


I just wanted to say: “Welcome Home to this Holy House!”















  Diaconal Ministry in a Time of Change Deacons have always been at the heart of the life of the Church and among the primary effective ag...